The Sass&P afterhours....Way after hours

Hey all, so I promised a blog post about the initial members of the Sass&P 500 which I am going to deliver, but I also figured I should tell everyone who is reading this site a little more about myself.

A brief bio. My name is Jason and I am 42 years old, I grew up on the Jersey Shore. I cut my teeth on Wall Street working in the Corporate Bond Markets at Bank of America as an analyst from 2006-2009 (I physically survived the credit crisis but alas career 1.0 did not). Following this, I spent 5 years in the wilderness learning the art of the sale selling new and used Subaru, Chevrolet, and Jeeps from as far south as Toms River, NJ (my home town) to as far north as Potsdam, NY. I got burned out after 5 years of the grind, and decided to re-invent myself for Career 3.0 which is where I am now. After burning out, I decided to completely reinvent myself. I went back to school and got an MBA at the crusty old age of 40 from Clarkson University in Potsdam, NY #letsgotech. I am a huge hockey fan and I live to watch my Golden Knights smoke out the rest of ECAC Hockey. After graduating, I spent some time working in Tax Planning and doing high end tax work. I am currently a Staff Accountant for a firm that handles tons of Jersey Mike's accounts but I always have an iron in the fire. When I worked on Wall Street, I was always afraid to take the chance on myself, but now I am at the stage of life where I understand the risks and rewards of taking on something new, but have a better sense of experience of how to weigh the risks and the rewards.

A little market recap today: I spent my day grinding away on helping get financials out the door for over 300 franchises, so I didn't get much time to watch the markets do their thing today, but things did not end well for the equity markets. The Dow closed down 1.47%, the real S&P closed down 1.81%, and the Naz was down 2.1%. Market participants are concerned about inflation and maybe rightfully so, but I don't see it. I think that the big reason why the markets are seeing inflationary pressures are 2 fold, #1 due to the length and strength of the supply chain crisis, and #2 because of minor dislocations in the US Economy which is why I belive that any price inflation that we are experiencing at the moment to be transitory. What does transitory mean? Transitory means that as the supply chain crisis gets solved (and it will), and as the dislocations in the US economy get better understood the markets will realize that the inflation we are experiencing is a temporary phenomenon.

Before I get to the point which is why so many people are clicking on my blog (aka the clusterfuck portfolio), I feel as though I should clarify the rules, every stock gets purchased for ~$5. Some might get a little more love than others, but every stock that gets added will be added at greater than $4.50 and less than $5.50 on a net investment level. Should any of these stocks pay a dividend, dividends get automatically reinvested into the stock that paid. Dollar cost averaging will play a role in the portfolio, but, an initial investment value must drop to $4.5 before an additional $5 can be invested. I can and will buy diversified ETF's as immediate diversification. ETF's will be weighted to ~25% of the portfolio, however the ETF's will not be counted into the index. I also will not buy crypto, silver, gold, blockchain, nft, or any other type of stupid investment that requires the great er idiot theory for my investment to be worth anything (I use greater idiot theory as a catch all that requires a bigger idiot than me to pay me more for my shiny than what I paid for it) I want dividends, I want coupons, I want real money returns. My buys will be in companies that I legitimately use every day or almost every day. These are the stocks for the modern drunkard to own, so now on to the list.



I guess I am buying some more ETF exposure tomorrow morning at the open.

Now for the big questions, why did I buy what I have bought so far, for this I'll go stock by stock.

1) For Rivian, the answer is simple, I 100% believe that the future of auto is electric, and I think that Tesla is overloved. The best selling car/truck/redneck limousine in the United States for as long as I care to remember is the F-150, I am certain that the number 2 seller is the Chevrolet Silverado or the Dodge Ram. Tesla designed a truck, and unfortunately for them, their truck looks like Elon's kids name, fucked up and not something I would want to have in my front yard.

#2) Ok, Coca Cola. Let's start with the obvious, I am a slave to my addictions. I drink at least 3-4 20oz Diet Cokes a day. I can't resist the deal where if I buy 2, I get the 2 of them for less than $4. This is something that I have hung on to since college, diet cokes and smokey smokes, fact of the matter is, Warren Buffett owns almost 10% of the company. It's as solid a play that exists and pays a solid dividend. What more can you ask for.

#3) Molson Coors. Ok, I am writing this blog post way after hours drinking a 16 oz Coors Banquet, why am I drinking a Coors Banquet, simple, I love watching Cobra Kai on Netflix and it's what Johnny Lawrence drinks (NFLX wll probably be added to the portfolio sooner than later), he's a bad ass, I'm a bad ass, enough said. Even if this was clever product placement on their part, the advertising is great and the product isn't half bad. It's not a triple imperial IPA but it gets the job done.

Up next on my list is Clorox. Clorox is a bit of a fallen angel at the moment. At the height of the pandemic, Clorox wipes were impossible to find but I think that the pandemic will have ingrained a fresh set of habits in the young(ish) people like me who have survived this bullshit and will always have a container of Clorox wipes around the house/office (are they interchangable at this point). That and they own one of my favorite brands in Burts Bees. Clorox isn't going anywhere. Like me, it's a cockroach (aka a survivor, it's not going anywhere).

Ok, so I bought some Meta, I don't see anyone else coming along to help me try to avoid my friends and family members. I do belive that our interactions will take place in the metaverse just as soon as the bosses of gen x-z realize that we are probably not going back to cubicles any time soon.

Similar to the Meta play, I also bought into Crox. I have literally been wearing Larry David's sneakers since before he decided they were cool. (at the time they were owned by decker outdoors, they are now owned by the same family that sold the Hurley brand to Nike). I actively avoid wearing suits and wouldn't take a job that didn't allow me to wear jeans, a t-shirt, and some ultra comfy Simple shoes, which is why I dont picture Crox going away any time soon, the laid back work from home ethos is here to stay.

I have a confession to make, I am writing this blog from my chrome enabled windows laptop with an external monitor, and a keyboard and mouse set from logitech, but if I'm not using my work computer, I am hooked onto my ipad, it is the ultimate internet appliance and I am confident that Ipad hasn't hit saturation levels yet.

So now we get to the pure play liquor company, Brown and Forman. While they don't produce my favorite whiskey, nothing that they make is bad and their stock is a good proxy for the liquor market as a whole.

Ahh now we are down to Target, Amazon, and Costco. Having pursued my MBA, I have student loans that would choke a donkey. I use delivery apps to help me make extra money, so I will tackle the idea of making extra money in a future post, but for now, these are the public companies where I spend most of my time as a shopper.

Now for Doordash. As I have been involved in the QSR space for the past year, I am convinced that people don't want to leave the house any more than they have to. It is a result of the work from home movement.

The last stock on my list is Shake Shack. Bro, I will stop at the asbury rest area just to get the shack. Good food is univeral. Lets eat!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pre-opening thoughts

Garbage Pile Status